Skip to main content

The cold creeps in

I have a problem: I'm becoming cold. I don't mean emotionally frigid (though my ex-boyfriend might disagree) I literally mean physically chilled. In bed. I should probably explain.

Ah, summer. Remember that? It happened (I think) over eighteen days some time this year and snuck in between the chilly spring and bleak autumn that is now upon us. It was warm once I believe, but now it is freezing and it seems twas ever thus; it is freezing in my flat, it is even freezing in my cosy little bedroom-cum-medical depot, and dialysis is like roses and old people: it doesn't do well in the cold.

I'm a snuggler, you see - not with men, let's not be ridiculous - but I like to burrow down under my duvet like a hedgehog when the winter months encroach. At least I did, until Dermot arrived. When I started nocturnal dialysis, the weather was warm and lying prone on one's bed was a prerequisite for a good night's kip; now you have to get yo' wriggle on to avoid waking up with shrivelled toes, gangrenous from frostbite. Except Dermot doesn't approve of wriggling; he yells at me when I move, so I have taken to sleeping flat on my back with my left arm stretched out stiffly to my side and I end up getting so cold that last night I dreamt I was roaming around in the Canadian wilderness with just my wits and a sassy hat for protection.

To negate this bitter dilemma, I have started piling on the layers: thermal PJ bottoms, my trusty SAS t-shirt and, as of last night, thick bed socks. It helps a bit, but now I have a new problem: fabric moves. Everything rides up, or down, and as I've only one free arm to rearrange unruly fabric there are always bits of my flesh exposed to the elements. Many moons ago I would have described this less as a difficulty and more of an excellent Saturday night...now I am considering buying a onesie. The last time I wore a onesie (in my day we called them romper suits) I was nine years old and - ah, yes, ON DIALYSIS, so I guess not much has changed at all really, apart from that it is now deemed acceptable to don your romper suit in the Sainsbury's in Clapham Old Town. As for my poor, icy, inert left hand, I have taken to wearing a black glove. This serves the dual purpose of keeping my digits toasty whilst providing apt symbolism for the direction my life has seemingly taken. I am also now a fully payed up member of the Black Panthers. Fight the man, my brothers.

I should probably just invest in a new duvet - my current one is covered in blood stains anyway (not from dialysis - I used to murder hookers) - and possibly a pair of curtains to keep the chill out of my room. I've had to become accustomed to a great many things since staring nightly dialysis: the noise, the light, the insomnia, the blood pouring from my arm at 3am...it seems learning to sleep in a simulated meat-locker is simply the next hurdle to overcome. I don't know if I've mentioned this in any of my last 17,000 posts, but I am still not enamoured by nocturnal dialysis. As autumn decidedly gives way to winter and the weather outside becomes frightening, here's hoping Dermot can warm my cold heart yet.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is